Sunday, February 24, 2013

A Poem

The poem below hangs in the hallway of my oncologist's office.  It is a nice poem.  I especially like the last line.  I can't remember if I wrote about this already (I probably did), but one night early on after my diagnosis when I was particularly upset, Adam said to me: "I just don't want to see this crush your spirit."  I have tried to take that to heart on the rough days.

Cancer is so limited...
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot eat away peace.
It cannot destroy confidence.
It cannot kill friendship.
It cannot shut out memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot reduce eternal life.
It cannot quench the Spirit.

Although it is hard some days to remember how limited cancer is, when you think about it in the grand scheme of things, it really is.  I'm sure we could add many more things to this list....

No comments:

Post a Comment